Monday, July 28, 2008
I recently took a fiber continuing education class and this is one piece I did. I call it Ripples. The colors didn't come out quite as planned, however I am still pleased. I have been wanting to do a 2 yard screen printed cotton piece for several years now, and, since I lack the facilities to do one at home, at least for now, I was happy to find a class where I could work on one. Holly Stewart teaches these continuing education classes at the Kansas City Art Institute (you can go to her website from this blog, she's under "sites I like"). She's a great fiber artist and a fabulous person. I think it's safe to say that if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be doing this right now.
Here is a silk itajime from my class. The little blue/black marks are from the wood pieces I used to press it. I wound up dying this piece three times to get all the colors. It's 4 yards long, and I have no idea what to do with it. Maybe something will come up later.
Sublimation piece from a class I recently took. I'm pleased with it. The heat press didn't like me too much since this was a tied piece that I sublimated solid color into. It was a little too thick for the press to close...
Monday, July 14, 2008
This is a 11 yard long piece of silk that I dyed using the bomaki method. It's too bad you can't feel how light and soft this piece of fabric is. I am pleased with the way it came out. This is only showing half of the width of it. It is a whole 45" wide, though, as usual, you lose the edges of the fabric due to the line where the stitches were put in, so actually it's more like 40" wide usable width.